These orange fungi are crazy real. I couldn’t believe the color! We were out for a drive and we saw them growing off some stumps in a daycare play yard. So we stopped and I took some pictures and video clips.
I’ve gone through our fungi books, and I’m guessing they’re Omphalotus olearius mushrooms, more commonly known as Jack O’Lantern mushrooms. It is said that they glow at night. I wish I’d known that before… we would’ve driven back to the same spot at night to see if that’s true. Maybe we’ll see them again when we go back there. The orange color just screams ‘BEWARE’, and for good reason. If they really are Jack O’Lantern mushrooms, they’re very poisonous.
And just to prove they’re real (no photoshopping of color at all)… see the video clip below.